The Meaning of Three Wooden Crosses on the Side of the Highway or the Significance of 3 Crosses on a Hill
Being a Christian I always enjoy seeing Three Wooden Crosses together on the side of a highway or up on a hill and receive an extra special feeling whenever I unexpectedly run across them while traveling through unfamiliar territory. However, it wasn't until I came across a question on the internet that I realized just how many people do not understand the Christian Meaning or the Significance of the Three Crosses of Calvary (when 3 Crosses are displayed together).
"What Does Three Wooden Crosses on the Side of the Highway Mean" or "What is the Significance of 3 Crosses on a Hill?"
I decided to follow these questions to read what kind of answers they were receiving.
Wow... What a Surprise! The explanations given for their meaning and significance were all over the place (along with the all too familiar rude and uncalled for remarks against Jesus, Christians and Christianity).
The Answers for the Meaning of 3 Wooden Crosses Generally Fell Into These Categories:
Quite a range of opinions and ideas wouldn't you say?
- Roadside Memorial Crosses: Unfortunately tragic accidents have happened where three lives were lost and their loved ones create a Roadside Memorial with 3 Crosses. These memorials are often accompanied by Flowers, Notes, Wreaths and Candles.
- "Super Fans" of the Song "Three Wooden Crosses by Randy Travis": I am sure someone out there somewhere who REALLY LIKES Randy Travis' song where he sings "...There's Three Wooden Crosses on the Right Side of the Highway..." have made roadside tribute memorials for the song by placing 3 Wooden Crosses on the Right Side of the Highway.
Randy Travis' song is a wonderful song with numerous significant meanings of it's own. (However I do not believe there are too many of these Roadside Tributes out there).
You can listen to a clip of his song here: Randy Travis Song 3 Wooden Crosses
(Update 8/1/2013) Please add Randy Travis to your prayers. Yesterday he was released from the hospital after having a heart attach and stroke in July. Reports are that he has checked into a physical therapy facility for further treatment.
- Trinity Crosses: Some people stated that the Three Crosses represent the Trinity, with one Cross for each: God, The Son and the Holy Spirit. I suppose seeing 3 Wooden Crosses together could make some people think of the Trinity (there's nothing wrong with that). However, God (The Father) and the Holy Spirit are never represented by a Cross. The Cross is a Christian Symbol for the Sacrifice Jesus "Voluntarily Made" to reconcile the Sins of Man with God the Father.
- The Three Calvary Crosses: The 3 Crosses of Calvary which represent Jesus' Cross (the Cross in the center) and a cross on each side representing the Two Thieves who were crucified with Jesus at Calvary (a.k.a. Golgotha, Place of a Skull). Yes!!! When you see Three Wooden Crosses or 3 Crosses together anywhere alongside the road, up on a hill or on a church building they will almost always represent the Three Calvary Crosses!
So whenever you see Three Crosses Grouped Together they usually always represent the crucifixion of Jesus Christ and the Two Criminals (Thieves) at the location known as Calvary (Golgotha or the Place of a Skull).
The Three Calvary Crosses Mean So Many Things
Similar to every bit of scripture in the Bible, the events which took place at Calvary hold a vast array of Meanings and Significance to Christianity and for every Christian they often hold special meanings for them on a personal level as well.
Here are a few Significant Christian Fundamentals and Bible Scriptures about the events at Calvary that I believe every Christian should be familiar with and understand.
Some Popular Scriptures Regarding Christianity and Calvary
- Sin separates us from God. Jesus (being sinless) reconciled our sins with God through his death on the cross at Calvary.
Romans 5:8 (NIV)
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
- We Must Accept Jesus' Sacrifice to Receive The Gift of Salvation.
John 3:16-18 (NIV)
16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. 18 Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because they have not believed in the name of God's one and only Son.
- There is "ONLY ONE WAY"... and it is Through Jesus! (If there were any other ways to God; through good deeds, rituals, sacrifices or religion; Jesus' Sacrifice for us would be meaningless!)
John 14:6 (NIV)
Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.
- You Must be "BORN AGAIN" in Spirit! (I highly recommend reading the whole Gospel of John however reading John Chapter 3 will give you a better understanding on what is meant by being Born Again.)
John 3:3 (NIV)
Jesus replied, “Very truly I tell you, no one can see the kingdom of God unless they are born again."
Walkers FaithWorks Cardinal Wood Wall Cross and 1 Corinthians 1:18 (NIV)
Three Crosses of Calvary (A Special Meaning for Me)
Each of the Four Gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke and John) address the fact that there were two criminals who were sent to Calvary to be crucified alongside Jesus Christ (one on the left cross and one on the right). However, only the The Gospel of Luke describes the following verbal exchange between Jesus and one of them during their final moments on the Three Crosses of Calvary.
Luke 23:42-43 NIV
42 Then he said, “Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.”43 Jesus answered him, “Truly I tell you, today you will be with me in paradise.”
Why Luke 23:42-43 Means So Much To Me:
Throughout the years many of my friends, loved ones and acquaintances have passed away under various circumstances. While mourning the loss of each of them, I go through extremely different emotions depending on knowing whether or not they had accepted Jesus Christ as their Savior?
None of us know what happens during those last moments before we die. However, this small piece of scripture in Luke gives me hope for all of those who have passed without previously finding Salvation in Jesus!
As stated in John 3:17 (NIV)
17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.
So however everyone's life unfolds for them in the end, I truly hope that for even those of us who have denied Jesus' Sacrifice on the Cross throughout their live's, that they too will get one last chance to accept the Gift of Salvation from the Heavenly Father through his son Jesus Christ!
May God Bless Us All!
Brian E. Walker